Serena Williams Clinches 2009 Year-End No. 1 Tennis Ranking

By
Updated: October 28, 2009

The Sony Ericsson WTA Tour’s most successful tennis player of the season will end 2009 on top of the world.

Serena Williams, who won two major titles this year, has clinched the year-end world number one tennis ranking.

When the new rankings are released on Monday, November 2, 2009, Williams will emerge as the new World No.1, replacing Russia’s Dinara Safina. Williams recaptured the No.1 ranking at the Sony Ericsson Championships – Doha 2009, following Safina’s opening match retirement and Williams’ opening round win against Svetlana Kuznetsova.

© Costantini | Serena Williams

Serena Williams (© Costantini)

“2009 has been a truly memorable season for me during which I enjoyed some of the biggest wins of my career,” said Serena Williams. “Capturing the year-end World No.1 ranking is a huge accomplishment for me and I am thrilled that all the hard work has paid off.”

“I congratulate Serena on having a great year and achieving one of her goals by finishing the season as the World No.1 player,” said Stacey Allaster, Chairman and CEO of the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour. “Serena is a terrific ambassador for our sport.”

The 28-year-old American has had a stellar 2009 season, winning two Grand Slam singles titles (Australian Open and Wimbledon) and posting solid results at the other two Grand Slams, falling to eventual champions at both (to Svetlana Kuznetsova in the quarterfinals of Roland Garros and to Kim Clijsters in the semifinals of the US Open).

Williams will hold the World No.1 ranking at least through the week of December 28, 2009.

Comments

You must login to facebook in order to comment.

9 Legacy Comments

1. Callais

October 28, 2009 at 5:53 pm

Ehm, what “hard work” is she talking about? Does she means those 2 fluke slams and lots of early exits? Well, doesn’t cut it for me. She ends the year as no.1 not because she played so well but because Dinara got so poorly in the end of the season.

2. Aref Dee

October 29, 2009 at 10:24 am

“Dinara GOT so poorly” sounds like you have issues Callais. Too much hate in the world today.
    Serena is a great player and her #1 ranking is well deserved. Injury has beset many a player in this high stakes sport including Serena and Dinara. 2009 belongs to Serena so lets give her her accolades. 2010 beckons, lets see who will own that year…

3. Callais

October 29, 2009 at 4:05 pm

If there’s someone who’s got issues it’s probably you. And I think I know exactly which one you’re trying to bring up… Serena’s steroid fluke and no champion. Why exactly 2009 does belong to her? Because she won 2 tournaments against mentally fragile Safina and injured Venus? Ah well, I’m sure you enjoyed it :0)

4. Dapxin

October 29, 2009 at 4:29 pm

@Callais,

Read your first post again.

Now I am not a tennis fan or so, but the few times I have seen Safina play, I cringe when commentators says she’s number1.

I think the 55minutes demolition by Venus sums it up there, when you say she’s been poor Safina, season end. Fact of the matter, to a Tennis casual, she’s nowhere near as good to be in the no1 frame – dont care how the WTA do their numbers.

The whole no1 thing is tiring too. One might be excused to forget that even Ivanovic – a better player imo – was once no1.

As for Serena, I think the wins dont lie.

5. frankiejames

October 29, 2009 at 7:04 pm

Serena has played better than any other player in 2009. That is fact. She and Venus has sustained many injuries since this time last year, but chose to continue playing amidst talk that they are downhill. Serena won Wimbledon because Venus was injured then. After the Austrailan Open, nearly every event she played before and after Wimbledon, she lost, not only because they were smaller events, but because she was injured. First Azarenka was the great hope of tennis, then Kleybonova, and every other person who beat the Williamses. But still none of them has come close to what Serena accomplished except Safina who still lost in every major. Give Serena her due.

6. Callais

October 30, 2009 at 5:07 pm

She is due nothing. Injuries? Puh-leaasse. This is really old one…!

7. frankiejames

October 31, 2009 at 7:41 pm

Right, the same as Caroline, stomach and leg. Azarenka, I’m still out on that one. Dinara, fracture in the back, but already talking about Brisbane. Vera, every point she didn’t make, fell to the ground and then pulled out. Venus, injuries since Wimbledon. Henin, couldn’t take the heat, left tennis. But not Serena. She is superwoman. Can not be injured? Yeah, right. And you say she is due nothing. Good. She takes what she wants anyway.

8. Callais

November 1, 2009 at 4:43 pm

I never said she can’t be injured. Sounds as if she wanted to be…weird…but anyway.
    I gave Serena her due, sorry there’s nothing more to say. She played well at 5 big events and at the rest of the tournaments she picked up the fee.
    The rest of the top ten worked hard all year so I had something to watch every event which I, as a tennis fan, do enjoy.

And that she takes whatever she wants? Hmm, it’s quite surprising she didn’t want that French and US Open titles this year…, but hey, with Serena one never knows… She didn’t want no.1 spot either and once she got it she suddenly started celebrating. The girl’s wishes change like April’s weather…

9. Aref Dee

November 1, 2009 at 5:02 pm

@ Callais: Sour grapes is what your blog tastes like. You should have ended with “there’s nothing more to say”.
    It’s ok not to like a player personally. I myself used to wish everyone was Bjorn Borg and not McEnroe, but alas… But to come on this blog griping about Serena winning while everyone else is working hard all year… well that’s tasteless.
    Plus you’re hardly complementing the people you seem to prefer to Serena. So put a sock in it cos right now Serena rocks! dude…