Rogers Cup Montréal: Kvitova Conquers Li For First Title of Season
Doubles – Final (played Sunday)
Jans-Ignacik/Mladenovic (POL/FRA) d. (3) Petrova/Srebotnik (RUS/SLO) 75 26 107 (Match TB)
- Kvitova wins her eighth WTA title and first of 2012, having previously not been beyond a semifinal this year.
- Kvitova improves to 8-2 in WTA finals, with Montréal being her first final in North America.
- Kvitova was 0-5 against Top 10 players before Montréal, where she posted wins over No.10 Marion Bartoli and No.8 Caroline Wozniacki.
- Kvitova was extended to three sets in three of her five matches in Montréal.
- Li falls to 5-8 in WTA finals and 0-3 this year.
- Their results push Kvitova back into the Top 5 and Li back into the Top 10.
- Jans-Ignacik and Mladenovic win their first title together in their third outing, surviving three match tie-breaks throughout the tournament.
- It was Jans-Ignacik’s third WTA doubles title and Mladenovic’s first WTA title of any kind.
Petra Kvitova: “It’s great to know I can play well here and it’s great I finally won a title this year. I’m so glad it could be here at the Rogers Cup in Montréal.”
Li Na: “I really have to say she played very well today. I think we both played a very good match. I’m very happy because this was the first hardcourt tournament after the Olympics, and my new coach is going to come to Cincinnati, so I think this is a very good start to this season for me.”
Kristina Mladenovic: “All week we believed in ourselves and went for every shot. We felt we had the right tactics for the important moments, and that’s what made the difference, because we played so many super tie-breaks this week.”
Klaudia Jans-Ignacik: “Kristina and I did so many good things this week so I knew we could make it in the final. And we really had nothing to lose – they were the favorites, we were just there to enjoy it. It was also my first victory over Nadia. It’s just an amazing feeling right now.