Texas Tennis Open Dallas: Vinci Defeats Jankovic For Seventh Career Title
Doubles – Final
(4) Erakovic/Watson (NZL/GBR) d. Dekmeijere/Falconi (LAT/USA) 63 60
- Vinci wins the seventh WTA title of her career and her first of 2012; her last title came in Budapest last year.
- Vinci’s win-loss record in finals now stands at 7-1, and 2-0 in hardcourt finals; her other title on the surface came indoors in Luxembourg in 2010.
- Vinci did not drop a set en route to the title, becoming the second successive champion to achieve this feat after Lisicki in 2011.
- Vinci and Jankovic were meeting for the fourth time and for the first time since 2009; Jankovic now leads the head-to-head record 3-1.
- Jankovic falls to 12-16 in WTA finals, and 5-11 in hardcourt finals.
- Erakovic and Watson win their second doubles title together; Erakovic now has seven WTA doubles titles to her name, while Watson has two.
Roberta Vinci: ”I think we played a really good final. I was up a set and 3-0 and had a lot of chances to keep going, but she came back to 3-all. She’s such a good player so at the beginning of the match I was a little bit nervous. But I just tried to stay relaxed and keep going for my shots and although we were both very tired, I made it. It was a tough week, a tough draw, a tough final – I’m so happy I won!”
Jelena Jankovic: ”After I was down 3-0 in the second set I changed some things a bit and got back in the match, but from there she played really unbelievable tennis. Overall I’m happy with my week though. I came here to play some good matches; unfortunately I didn’t win, but I played some very good tennis.”