New Haven Open at Yale: Kvitova Edges Out Kirilenko For Title
Results – Saturday, August 25, 2012
Singles – Final
(2/WC) Petra Kvitova (CZE) d. (7) Maria Kirilenko (RUS) 76(9) 75
Doubles – Final
(1) Huber/Raymond (USA/USA) d. (2) Hlavackova/Hradecka (CZE/CZE) 46 60 104 (Match TB)
- Kvitova wins her ninth WTA title and second of 2012, having also won in Montréal.
- Kvitova’s win-loss record in WTA finals now stands at 9-2, with all bar three of these coming on hardcourts.
- Kvitova did not drop a set en route to the title, becoming the fifth champion to achieve this feat in the last eight years.
- Kirilenko falls to 5-6 in WTA finals, having also finished as runner-up in Pattaya City earlier this year.
- Kvitova and Kirilenko were meeting for the sixth time and their head-to-head now stands at 3-3.
- Huber and Raymond win their ninth WTA title together; Huber now has 53 career titles to her name, while Raymond has 79.
Petra Kvitova: “It’s unbelievable – I played three tournaments in a row and won two. I’ve played a lot of matches and I’m feeling more relaxed and confident on the court. I hope all of this will continue into the US Open next week.”
Maria Kirilenko: “Even though I lost I still feel positive. I played really well this week. I played a good match today. Unfortunately, I was unlucky in the final today.”