Wozniacki Wins First Title of ’12
KDB KOREA OPEN
Seoul, South Korea
September 17-23, 2012
Results – Sunday, September 23, 2012
Singles – Final
(1) Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) d. (3) Kaia Kanepi (EST) 61 60
Doubles – Final
(1) Kops-Jones/Spears (USA/USA) d. Amanmuradova/King (UZB/USA) 26 62 108 (Match TB)
- Wozniacki wins the 19th WTA title of her career and her first of 2012; her last title came in New Haven last August.
- Wozniacki’s win-loss record in finals now stands at 19-11, and 14-7 in hardcourt finals; she now stands fourth among active players for WTA titles won, behind Serena (45) and Venus Williams (43) and Sharapova (27).
- Wozniacki won four of her five matches in straight sets and the final in 62 minutes; her only match to go the distance was a two hour, 24 minute semifinal with Makarova in which she trailed 4-3 in the final set before winning the last three games.
- Wozniacki and Kanepi were meeting for the sixth time; Wozniacki now leads the head-to-head record 4-2.
- Kanepi falls to 3-4 in WTA finals, and 1-4 in hardcourt finals.
- Kanepi was playing for the first time since Roland Garros, having pulled out of her last 10 tournaments with a bilateral Achilles injury.
- Kops-Jones and Spears win their fourth doubles title together; Kops-Jones now has six WTA doubles titles to her name, while Spears has eight.
Caroline Wozniacki: ”Today I did well at turning defense to offense and offense to defense. That’s actually a strength of mine. I want to enjoy it and be positive – so that’s what I’m thinking about right now. I want to build up for the next season and hopefully my results this week will help me move forward and get back to playing my best.”
Kaia Kanepi: ”My season has definitely had its ups and downs because of my injuries, but last year was the same, and my whole career has been a little bit up and down as well. It’s nothing new and I’m used to it.”