Petrova Rolls in Sofia
QATAR AIRWAYS TOURNAMENT OF CHAMPIONS SOFIA
October 30-November 4, 2012
Results – Sunday, November 4, 2012
Singles – Final
(2) Nadia Petrova (RUS) d. (1) Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) 62 61
- Petrova improves to 13-11 in WTA finals, including 3-0 this year.
- With her 13th career WTA title, Petrova ties Svetlana Kuznetsova for sixth-most among active players.
- Petrova improves to 2-4 all-time against Wozniacki, with her only other win coming by virtue of retirement in their first meeting at Moscow in 2008.
-.Petrova finishes the week with 24 straight holds of serve.
- Petrova and Wozniacki both went undefeated in round robin play.
- Wozniacki falls to 20-12 in WTA finals, including 2-2 this year.
- Wozniacki won her 50th WTA main draw match on Saturday, the fifth straight season she has won at least that many – the longest such active streak.
- Despite Sunday’s loss, Wozniacki finishes the season with 12 indoor hardcourt match wins, the most on the WTA.
- Wozniacki will move up one spot on the new rankings and finish the year at No.10.
Nadia Petrova: ”I had some long matches before this, so I had to keep this one to two sets. I didn’t really have so much left in my tank, so I had to play smart and keep the points short. Caroline’s a great mover and so consistent, so I mixed it up and kept her guessing so that she didn’t know what was coming from my side.
“This is a great accomplishment and a great way to finish the season.”
“I cannot say I’m playing my best right now, but I’m definitely going in the right direction. I’m trying to bring the good years back right now though. Hopefully with the preparation I’m doing in the off-season for next year, you’ll be able to see the old Petrova.
“I would love to play singles in Istanbul next year.”