Australian Open: Azarenka Survives to Earn Second Slam
It wasn’t easy, but Victoria Azarenka withstood a game challenge from Li Na to capture her second consecutive Australian Open and retain the No. 1 ranking. The match was tight and hard-fought the entire way, even after Na appeared to sprain her ankle late in the second set and whacked her head hard in another tumble early in the the third. The match took nearly three hours, and Azarenka won just eight more total points, 100-92.
January 14-27, 2013
Results – Saturday, January 26, 2013
Singles – Final
(1) Victoria Azarenka (BLR) d. (6) Li Na (CHN) 46 64 63
Doubles – Final (played Friday)
(1) Errani/Vinci (ITA/ITA) d. (WC) Barty/Dellacqua (AUS/AUS) 62 36 62
- Azarenka wins her second Grand Slam title; her first came at last year’s Australian Open.
- Azarenka is the eighth player – after Court, Goolagong, Graf, Seles, Hingis, Capriati and Williams – to have defended her Australian Open title.
- Azarenka’s win-loss record in Grand Slam finals now stands at 2-1 and 15-11 in WTA finals; 14 of her 15 titles have come on hardcourts.
- Azarenka has now won her last 21 matches in Australia; her last defeat was against Li in the fourth round of the 2011 Australian Open.
- Azarenka becomes the fifth active player to have won multiple Grand Slam singles titles; the others are Kuznetsova (two), Sharapova (four) and Serena (15) and Venus Williams (seven).
- Li falls to 1-2 in Grand Slam finals, and 7-9 in WTA finals.
- Azarenka and Li were meeting for the 10th time; Azarenka now leads the head-to-head record 6-4.
- Azarenka will stay at No.1, while Li will rise to No.5 when the new rankings are released on Monday.
- Errani and Vinci win their third Grand Slam title together; they have now won 14 WTA titles as a team.
- Errani and Vinci, who were runners-up last year, are the first all-Italian team to win the Australian Open.
Victoria Azarenka: ”It’s been a wonderful two weeks for me. I will always keep a very special memory of this court – it will always be in my heart. And also congratulations to Li Na – it has been a great start of the year for you – best of luck and I hope to see you in many more finals.”
Li Na: ”First, congratulations to Victoria. Thanks to my team, though two weeks ago I really hated them because they were pushing me a lot! And thanks to all the fans here for supporting me so much. I know I’m not young, but I have to say I’m really looking forward to coming back next year.”