Open GDF Suez: Barthel Beats Errani, Earns Biggest Career Title
OPEN GDF SUEZ
January 28-February 3, 2013
Results – Sunday, February 3, 2013
Singles – Final
Mona Barthel (GER) d. (1) Sara Errani (ITA) 75 76(4)
Doubles – Final
(1) Errani/Vinci (ITA/ITA) d. (2) Hlavackova/Huber (CZE/USA) 61 61
- Barthel wins her second WTA title and first at a Premier-level event.
- Barthel’s win-loss record in WTA finals now stands at 2-1; her two previous finals also came on hardcourt, at Hobart in 2012 and 2013.
- Barthel becomes the second German to win the title in the past two years, succeeding Kerber as champion; the only other German to triumph in the tournament’s 21-year history was Graf in 1995.
- Barthel dropped just one set en route to the title (against Vinci in the second round) and scored her second (Bartoli) and third (Errani) Top 10 victories this week.
- Errani falls to 6-5 in WTA finals; her record in hardcourt finals is now 1-3.
- Errani and Vinci win their 15th WTA title together; Errani and Vinci both now have 18 career titles to their names.
Mona Barthel: ”When I came here I wasn’t expecting to win the title at all. I was just taking it round by round, hoping to win the first round, then hoping to win the second round, and so on. When I got to the final I knew it would be tough, because Sara had such an amazing year last year and is playing so well – she just doesn’t give anything away.”
Sara Errani: ”Mona serves so well, plays so well from the baseline and physically moves so well – I just couldn’t beat her today. I usually like to have more time to place the ball where I want but I was on a limit today, particularly on my serve. I tried my best, but she was just unbeatable today.”