US National Indoor Championships: Erakovic Wins First Title
US NATIONAL INDOOR TENNIS CHAMPIONSHIPS
February 17-23, 2013
Results – Saturday, February 23, 2013
Singles – Final
Marina Erakovic (NZL) d. (3) Sabine Lisicki (GER) 61 ret. (GI illness)
Doubles – Final
(2) Mladenovic/Voskoboeva (FRA/KAZ) d. Arvidsson/Larsson (SWE/SWE) 76(5) 63
- Erakovic wins her first WTA title (she is now 1-2 in WTA finals).
- Erakovic is the first player from New Zealand to win a WTA title since Belinda Cordwell won in Kallang, Singapore in 1989 (Erakovic was born in 1988).
- Erakovic is the first player this year to save match point en route to a WTA title (she saved one match point in her first round match against Annika Beck).
- Lisicki is now 3-4 in WTA finals.
- Mladenovic and Voskoboeva win their first WTA doubles title together; Mladenovic now has three WTA doubles titles to her name, Voskoboeva four.
Erakovic: “I think it means quite a bit for New Zealand. We’re a small place, we’ve got about four million people, and tennis isn’t the most popular sport – but whenever I’m somewhere else in the world and someone asks me where I’m from, and I say New Zealand, they always say they love New Zealand. And there are always a lot of Kiwis supporting me around the world. So this is great.”
Lisicki: “It’s very unfortunate I wasn’t able to finish the match. I put all the energy I had left in my body into the match, but I just couldn’t keep going. I had been sick the last three days already. But Marina had a great tournament and I want to congratulate her for her first WTA title.”