Abierto Mexicano Telcel: Errani Successfully Defends
ABIERTO MEXICANO TELCEL
February 25-March 2, 2013
Results – Saturday, March 2, 2013
Singles – Final
(1) Sara Errani (ITA) d. (2) Carla Suárez Navarro (ESP) 60 64
Doubles – Final
(4) Domínguez Lino/Parra Santonja (ESP/ESP) d. Castaño/Duque-Mariño (COL/COL) 64 76(1)
- Errani wins her first WTA title of the year and the seventh of her career (she won Palermo and Portoroz in 2008 and Acapulco, Barcelona, Budapest and Palermo in 2012); she is now 7-6 in WTA finals.
- Errani successfully defends a WTA title for the first time.
- Errani is now the WTA match win leader for the year with 18 (Radwanska is next with 17).
- Suárez Navarro falls to 0-4 in WTA finals (she lost three-setters in her first three WTA finals, to Jankovic at Marbella in 2009, Pennetta at Marbella in 2010 and Kanepi at Estoril in 2012).
- Domínguez Lino and Parra Santonja win their third WTA doubles title together, having won Acapulco in 2007 and Barcelona in 2008; Domínguez Lino now has five WTA doubles titles, Parra Santonja six.
Errani: “In the first set the ball was much more live and the points were going much quicker, and I just played an incredible set. Even in the second set until 2-0 for me, 15-40 on her serve, I was in control, playing very aggressively. But the ball started getting heavier and the rallies were getting much tougher, and also she started to play much better. It got very difficult at the end.
“I’m so happy I closed it out. Carla was playing really well. I’m even happier because it’s my first time defending a WTA title. I love this tournament – it’s a really special tournament for me.”