BMW Malaysian Open: Pliskova Ends Mattek-Sands’ Run in Final
BMW MALAYSIAN OPEN
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
February 25-March 3, 2013
Results – Sunday, March 3, 2013
Singles – Final
Karolina Pliskova (CZE) d. (WC) Bethanie Mattek-Sands (USA) 16 75 63
Doubles – Final
(2) Aoyama/Chang (JPN/TPE) d. (1) Husarova/Zhang (SVK/CHN) 67(4) 76(4) 1412 (Match TB)
- Pliskova wins her first WTA title; before this week her best WTA result was one quarterfinal (at Prague in 2008).
- Pliskova makes her Top 100 debut on Monday’s new rankings, going from No.127 to No.84 (her previous career-high was No.107).
- Mattek-Sands falls to 0-4 in WTA finals (she was a runner-up at Québec City in 2008, again in Québec City in 2010, and at Hobart in 2011).
- Mattek-Sands rises from No.197 to No.132 on Monday’s new rankings (her career-high is No.30).
- Aoyama and Chang win their second WTA doubles title together (also winning Washington DC last year); Aoyama now has two WTA doubles titles to her name, Chang four.
- Aoyama and Chang rallied from a set and 4-1 down, and saved a match point later in the second set.