BNP Paribas Katowice Open: Vinci Wins Eighth Title
BNP PARIBAS KATOWICE OPEN
April 8-14, 2013
Results – Sunday, April 14, 2013
Singles – Final
(2) Roberta Vinci (ITA) d. (1) Petra Kvitova (CZE) 76(2) 61
Doubles – Final
Arruabarrena/Domínguez Lino (ESP/ESP) d. Olaru/Solovyeva (ROU/RUS) 64 75
- Vinci wins her eighth WTA title, her first seven coming at Bogotá in 2007, Barcelona in 2009, Luxembourg in 2010, Barcelona, ‘s-Hertogenbosch and Budapest in 2011 and Dallas in 2012; she is now 8-1 in WTA finals.
- Vinci’s win over the No.8-ranked Kvitova was her ninth Top 10 win.
- Vinci is projected to move from her current career-high of No.13 to a new career-high of No.12 now.
- Kvitova is still a very strong 10-3 in WTA finals.
- Arruabarrena and Domínguez Lino win their first WTA doubles title together; Arruabarrena wins her first WTA doubles title while Domínguez Lino wins her sixth.
Vinci: “I played a really good game today. Petra was playing very well and very aggressively in the first set, getting a lot of first serves in, but I stayed with her and won the tie-break, and things were better in the second set, probably because she was a little bit tired. But everything was working for me all week. I’m happy I was able to beat such a tough opponent and win this title.”
Kvitova: “It was a very tough match against Roberta today. I started pretty slowly at the beginning of the match and I was always the second player on the court because she was dictating everything out there – she plays very well on the clay. I also felt a little bit without energy. But she was the better player on the court for sure and she really deserved to win the title today.”