Marrakech: Schiavone Rolls to Title
GRAND PRIX SAR LA PRINCESSE LALLA MERYEM
April 22-28, 2013
Results – Sunday, April 28, 2013
Singles – Final
(6) Francesca Schiavone (ITA) d. Lourdes Domínguez Lino (ESP) 61 63
Doubles – Final
(3) Babos/Minella (HUN/LUX) d. (4) Martic/Mladenovic (CRO/FRA) 63 61
- Schiavone wins the sixth title of her career and first since Strasbourg last May.
- Schiavone’s win-loss record in finals now stands at 6-11, with five of her titles coming on clay (Bad Gastein in 2007, Barcelona and Roland Garros in 2010 and Strasbourg in 2012).
- Schiavone did not drop a set en route to the title, becoming the second player, after Dulko in 2008, to achieve this feat in the tournament’s 13-year history.
- Schiavone improves to 4-1 head-to-head against Domínguez Lino.
- Domínguez Lino falls to 2-1 in WTA finals; having previously won on the clay of Bogotá in 2006 and 2011.
- Schiavone and Domínguez Lino will rise to No.37 and No.47 respectively when the post-tournament rankings are released.
- Babos and Minella win their second WTA title together, having also triumphed earlier this year in Bogotá; Babos now has four career titles to her name, while Minella has two.
Francesca Schiavone: “This was a great week for me after a long, very difficult period. I think my two toughest matches of the week were my first match against Martic, a very talented young player, and of course today against Lourdes. I played a really complete game today. It’s never easy to play her. To win here is a great start to the clay court season for me and inspires me to keep working hard.”
Lourdes Domínguez Lino: ”Of course I’ll be back. It was my first time in Marrakech and I am really pleased with my result. All credit to Francesca.”