Tashkent : Jovanovski wins her Second Career Title
September 9-14, 2013
Results – Saturday, September 14, 2013
Singles – Final
(1/Q) Bojana Jovanovski (SRB) d. Olga Govortsova (BLR) 46 75 76(3)
Doubles – Final
(1) Babos/Shvedova (HUN/KAZ) d. (2) Govortsova/Minella (BLR/LUX) 63 63
– Jovanovski wins the second WTA title of her career; her other title also came on hard, last year in Baku.
– Jovanovski came through qualifying after missing the cut-off date whilst waiting for a wrist injury to heal; the last qualifier to win a title was Oudin at Birmingham in 2012.
– Jovanovski is the fourth No.1 seed in the tournament’s 15-year history to win the title.
– Govortsova falls to 0-4 in WTA finals; her previous final came at Ponte Vedra Beach in 2010.
– Jovanovski and Govortsova are projected to return to the Top 50 and Top 100 respectively in the new rankings.
– Babos and Shvedova win their first WTA doubles title together; Babos now has five titles, while Shvedova has eight.
Bojana Jovanovski: “Anybody could have won this match today. It was a close match and all credit to Olga for an incredible battle. I’m so happy, and I didn’t really believe I could do it today. I’ve had a tough year. I haven’t had too many matches, so it was good that I had to play the qualies. It’s great to finish this week on a good note. This title means a lot to me. I’ll be back next year.”
Olga Govortsova: “Bojana played very well today. She was moving well and hitting the ball really hard out there. Congratulations to her for a good win.”