Angelique Kerber beats Ana Ivanovic to win Ladies Linz
GENERALI LADIES LINZ
October 7-13, 2013
Results – Monday, October 13, 2013
Singles – Final
(1/WC) Angelique Kerber (GER) d. (3) Ana Ivanovic (SRB) 64 76(6)
Doubles – Final
Pliskova/Pliskova (CZE/CZE) d. (1) Dabrowski/Rosolska (CAN/POL) 76(6) 64
- Kerber wins her third WTA title and first of this season two days after clinching a berth at the TEB BNP Paribas WTA Championships – Istanbul.
- All three of Kerber’s WTA titles have come indoors.
- Kerber improves to 2-3 against Ivanovic, having lost the first three meetings and won the last two.
- A two-time champion in Linz, Ivanovic falls to 20-4 at the tournament but still has the most match wins in its history.
- Ivanovic competes in her first WTA final since Bali in November 2011.
- The Pliskova sisters win their first WTA title as a duo and their first WTA doubles title as individuals.
Angelique Kerber: “At the end I was just focusing point to point and not thinking about the match points I already had. I was just trying to stay aggressive in the important moments and I think that was the biggest key to victory at the end. I’m really happy to win my first WTA tournament of the year here.”
Ana Ivanovic: “There were a lot of turnarounds from both sides, but she played better in the important moments. I feel like I had more chances but just didn’t use them. I hit some errors when I really needed the point. But it was a great match, and though it’s disappointing to lose in a final, I had lots of good matches this week and lots of good wins, and overall it was a very positive week for me.”